Preview of the Policy Agenda of the Duterte Administration by Director General Claro Cristobal
WASHINGTON D.C. – On June 6, at the Philippines Roundtable, co-sponsored by the Society, the Philippine Embassy and SAIS Southeast Asia Studies, featured guest speaker Director-General Claro S. Cristobal offered an initial scan of the policy agenda of the Duterte administration.
- As a precondition to progress and development, President Duterte promised reduced lawlessness within six months of his term, a revamp of the national police, revival of capital punishment of convicted drug dealers.
- To counter socio-economic ills, the President views federalism as a means to realize the promise for Mindanao and equitable development and resources throughout the regions.
- US-Philippine relations are expected to remain robust and EDCA a crucial means to the AFP’s modernization program.
- There are overtures toward a peaceful resolution of maritime and territorial disputes with China.
- Focus on K-12 education system to improve the level of preparedness and skills competency and competitiveness in the global economy.